"I am stronger than depression and braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me".
-Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Why Me?


I hear a lot of "why me" comments throughout the day.  From clients, from friends.  Inconvenient, sometimes earth shattering things come up in their life and there is always some form of why me?

In my opinion, there are two main categories of why me:

1) I like to refer to the first one (and unfortunately, usually the most common) as "fuck me, this can't be happening to ME".

2) Why Me? What is it I am supposed to learn from this?  How come out of all of the people in the world, this particular circumstance is occurring in my life?  I am not suggesting that our entire lives are mapped out for us, I strongly believe you make your own outcome - however; I also strongly believe things do happen for a reason and if you are paying attention there is an incredible opportunity to grow into a much better human being.

Let's go back to the first version of "this can't be happening to me" for a moment - you see the problem with that statement is it implies that you would prefer that situation to happen to someone else.

My situation SUCKS - big time, but I would NEVER, EVER, EVER wish this upon someone else.  My situation SUCKS, but I can handle it.  

I don't want to have to go through with another transplant, or dialysis, or any of that shit, but I know I can do it and I will come out the other end a stronger person because of it.  For some reason, I am supposed to do this again, again.  There is still something I need to gain from this experience.  So, after some serious soul searching, and having conversations with whatever ruler of the universe was listening, I've come to a place where I can continue to look at this situation with an open mind.
I am open to growth; I am open to support; 
 & I am open to making the best out of a very inconvenient reality.  


"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle.  I just wish he didn't trust me so much" 
- Mother Teresa      

No comments:

Post a Comment