"I am stronger than depression and braver than loneliness and nothing will ever exhaust me".
-Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray, Love)

Friday, August 25, 2017

Coffee Dates


I have been thinking a lot about dialysis (mainly because I was exhausted this week and my blood pressure is up).  I spent the morning in IV therapy getting my iron infusion.  I go every couple of months.  I have my routine: I get my tea, I bring some work and a good book; I pack my warm, cozy socks, the nurses are amazing and I do my thing.  It sucks that I am going to need dialysis, and the whole fistula thing still enrages me in a super gross way but I've decided to make the best of it.  I like routine.  I can make it work.  My new plan is to make the best of it.  I plan to find my routine - I will pack my warm socks, my books, and movies, and make it my social hour, making all of my friends/ family hang out with me.

I've had an amazing summer.  I am so, so grateful.  BUT, it's been 6 months since I was told that I would have 24 months before needing a transplant (or dialysis) in order to live.  My blood pressure is much higher than it has been, and my numbers are slowly and steadily rising.  I still feel pretty good. I have my schedule down to a science so I am able to get through everything that I would like to do.  The only time it becomes a problem is when there is something "extra" to do.  Last weekend I drove to Toronto for a fitness conference and it took me until my day off on Tuesday to recover from it.  I am slowly learning to say no to more things and put my health first.

We still don't have any leads for matches, and we won't likely find one in the area.  I will be relying on the databases they have created in order to find a match.  As always, in the meantime, I will just keep doing what I'm doing and modifying when need be.    

No comments:

Post a Comment